Research shows that Gratitude Journaling can have an immensely positive impact on both your emotional and physical well-being. Unfortunately, most people’s gratitude muscles are a bit flabby. If you want to take a crack at Gratitude Journaling, but find yourself up against an industrial strength case of writer’s block.
Here are some questions to help get you started (and if you want to go really wild and crazy with it, here’s another post with seventeen more gratitude prompting questions).
- Who do I appreciate?
- How am I fortunate?
- What material possessions am I thankful for?
- What abilities do I have that I’m grateful for?
- What about my surroundings (home/neighborhood/city/etc.) am I thankful for?
- What experiences have I had that I am grateful for?
- What happened today/yesterday/this week/this month/this year that I am grateful for?
- What opportunities do I have that I am thankful for?
- What have others in my life done that I am thankful for?
- What have others done that I am benefiting from in my life (even if I don’t know who those people are)?
- What relationships am I thankful for?
- What am I taking for granted that, if I stop to think about it, I am grateful for?
- What is there about the challenges/difficulties I have experienced (or am currently experiencing) that I can be thankful for? (e.g., What have I learned? How have I grown?)
- What is different today than it was a year ago that I’m thankful for?
- What insights have I gained that I am grateful for?
- What am I able to offer others that I am grateful for?
- What opportunities to help others am I thankful for?
These questions are a great start, but don’t stop there. Come up with your own questions. Brainstorm as many gratitude-prompting questions as you can think of and start answering those as well.
By the time you finish all the questions, you’ll have a really deep picture of the gratitude in your life. You’ll also have a great resource to go back through on those days when you’re feeling a bit bah humbug.
What other gratitude prompting questions come to mind? Post them here!
Join the Ripple Revolution TM
Brought to you by Curt Rosengren, Passion Catalyst TM
Time for a career change? Start with
The Occupational Adventure Guide